Instructions: Read the following ad advertisements and choose the correct answers from the alternatives given.
Gemological Institute of America
Learn About Gems & Jewelry
From the world’s # 1 gemological institute
67 year history of excellence in education
Over 300,000 graduates worldwide
Short Classes in July
Colored Stone Grading & Gem Identification
Easy to learn – No homework ! – No exams!
Contact GIA Thailand
Tel. 02-237-9575-77 Fax. 02-236-9829
e-mail : giathai@ ksc8.th.com
- If you are interested in learning about Gems and Jewelry at GIA, which way can’t you contact GIA Thailand ?
- By calling
- By fax
- By letter
- By mail
- By telephone
2. Which is not true according to the ad?
1.GIA Thailand offers short classes in July.
2.GIA graduates come from all over the world.
3.GIA has established for 67 years.
4.More than 300,000 people have finished their studies from GIA.
5.You have to take exams before you finish the course.
Children Garment Exporter.3. What position is this company looking for?
- Quality Control Inspectors.
- Children Garment Manager.
- Children Garment Officer.
- Children Garment Importer.
4. If you want to apply for this position, you must………………………………..
- send in your resume by fax
- call Mr. Steven
- fill in the application form
- send an application form
- Either 1 or 2
5.Which is not true according to the ad?
1. Experience in Quality Control of children garment for US market is
2. Knowledge of fabric and children garment construction is necessary.
3. Applicants are supposed to be fluent in English.
4. Besides a good salary and fringe benefits the right candidate will have
5. Applicants are expected to work both on-site and off-site.
Read this news and choose the correct answer for each item below.
China is to carry out its largest military exercises of the year this month aimed at sending a “substantial warning” to Taiwan separatists, state media reported yesterday.
The military drills will take place on Dongshan Island in southeastern China’s Fujian province, just 150 nautical miles west of Taiwan’s Penghu Island, the Beijing News said.
“The Dongshan Island exercises are different from exercises……. It is joint exercise of
The three militaries (army, air force and navy). It’s the People’s Liberation Army’s (PLA) largest- scale exercise this year,” the Beijing News said
The report did not say when the drills would start or how long they would last but similar drills in 2001 lasted for four months.
Nor did it reveal how many soldiers would take part.
AGENCE FRANCE – PRESSE
6.What is the news mainly about?
1. The war game
2. China’s drills
3. Taiwan’s military exercises
4. Fujian province
5. A substantial warning
7.The “drills” here refer to……………………………..
5. military exercises
8.What is “Dongshan”?
1. It’s in southeastern Beijing.
2. It’s on Penghu island.
3. The name of an army.
4. An island in Fujian province.
5. The military drills.
9.What information is given about the military exercises?
1. The place where they will take place.
2. The number of soldiers they involve.
3. The duration of them.
4. The date when they start.
5. Its duration is the same as the drills in 2001.
10. What is the source of news?
4. Agence France
5. Fujian province
11. What is the unique characteristic of the military exercise?
1. It’s the first exercise.
2. It’s the largest in Beijing.
3. It will take place on an island.
4. It is the People’s Liberation Army’s.
5. It’s the cooperation of army, air force and navy.
Read the weather forecast and choose the correct answer for each item below.
12. If you are in Songkhla, what you shouldn’t do is…………………
1. swimming in an indoor pool
2. having a party in a living room
3. doing exercise in the fitness room
4. enjoying sunbathing with your friends
13. According to the weather forecast, the province with the lowest temperature is…………….and the one with the highest temperature is……………
1. Khon Kaen-Phuket
2. Chieng Mai-Phuket
3. Bangkok-Chieng Mai
4. Chieng Mai-Khon Kaen
5. Songkhla-Nakon Ratchasima
14. What is the suitable activity to do if you are in Koh Samui?
2. Riding bananaboat
3. Sunbathing on the beach
4. Riding a horse along the beach
5. Eating seafood in the restaurant
6. having a chat with your relatives on the porch
Read the comic strips and choose the best answer to each question that follows.
15. When a person says that he/ she smells the roses; he/she means to say that
1.is struggling in order to be successful
2.is successful and happy
3.is going to have short life
4.is about to stop doing the job
5.is in trouble to find the roses
16. A “saying” in second scene is the same as a ………………..
17. According to the cartoon ,Zero is ………………….
1. very optimistic and hopeful
2. ignorant and cheerful
3. open-minded and sociable
4. happy and helpful
5. introvert and desperate
Read the passage and choose the best answer to each question that follows.
2. Fear and rationalism
3. Worldwide phenomenon
4. Lack of scientific knowledge
5. Fear and lack of scientific knowledge
19. Superstition is linked to ______ and ____.
1. ill luck and fear
2. ill luck and danger
3. fear and happiness
4. danger and accident
5. sacrifices and accident
Read the article and choose the correct answer for each item below.
20. “This” (line 6) means………………………..
1. eat only one fruit a day
2. eating an apple a day
3. how to make us healthy
4. fruits and vegetables we should eat
5. eating five to nine fruit and vegetables a day
21. According to the passage, more people in America get cancer or heart disease because…………
1. they eat less fruit and vegetable
2. they smoke more
3. they lack of fruits
4. they lack of vegetables
5. they eat many servings of fruits and vegetables
22. Eating a lot of fruit and vegetable could prevent you from……………..
1. breast cancer
2. lung cancer
3. colon cancer
4. stomach cancer
5. all above
23. If you want to prevent yourself from breast cancer, you should eat more…………..
1. corn and grapes
2. garlic and grapes
3. grapes and spinach
4. soybeans and carrots
5. peaches and broccolis
24. To prevent heart diseases we should eat more………….…..
1. carrots and corn
2. spinach and grapes
3. tomato and spinach
4. tomato and cranberry juice
5. apples and strawberries
25. The following recipe, which one is the most healthy food?
2. Spinach pizza
3. Mixed vegetable salad
4. Vegetable burger
5. Sushi and soybean soup
26. According to this passage, we can infer that……….…..
1. Fruits and vegetables keep us healthy
2. you should be careful about your eating habit
3. follow everything the doctor advice, you will live longer
4. to be healthy, we should eat colorful fruit and vegetables everyday
5. only mango, peach, broccoli and tomatoes can make you have healthy life
27. The best title for this passage is……….…..
1. Fruit and Vegetable
2. Colorful fruit and vegetables
3. How to eat fruits and vegetable
4. Useful of fruits and vegetables for your health
5. How to stay healthy and live longer
Read the story and choose the correct answer from the alternative given.
As Andrea turned off the motorway onto the road to Brockbourne, the small village in which she lived, it was four o’clock in the afternoon, but already the sun was falling behind the hills. At this time in December, it would be completely dark by five o’clock. Andrea shivered. The interior of the car was not cold, but the trees bending in the harsh wind and the patches of yesterday’s snow still heaped in the fields made her feel chilly inside. It was another ten miles to the cottage where she lived with her husband Michael, and the dim light and wintry weather made her feel a little lonely. She would have liked to listen to the radio, but it had been stolen from her car when it was parked outside her office in London about two weeks ago, and she had not got around to replacing it yet.
28. Where did Andrea work?
4. the text doesn’t say
5. in the small village
29. Why didn’t she listen to the radio?
1. The radio had been stolen from her car.
2. She liked peace and quiet.
3. The radio was broken.
4. There was a strike at the radio station.
5. The text doesn’t say
30. Why did she stop to give the old lady a ride?
1. It was a cold evening.
2. Andrea felt lonely.
3. She felt sorry for the lady.
4. She was helpful to the strangers.
5. All of the above.
31. Where did the lady want to go?
4. The small village in London.
5. The text doesn’t’ t say.
32. What made Andrea afraid when she looked at the old lady?
1. She had a moustache.
2. She had a hard voice like a man.
3. She had a shopping bag.
4. She had hairy arms.
5. She had thick black hair.
33. Why did Andrea suddenly stop the car?
1. She thought she had hit a child in the road.
2. She skidded on some ice in the road.
3. She wanted to trick the passenger into getting out.
4. She was so afraid that she couldn’t concentrate, and she nearly had
5. The passenger forced her to do that.
34. What did Andrea do when the “old lady” got out?
1. waited for her
2. drove away quickly
3. opened her bag
4. switched off the engine
5. stared at her
35. Why did Andrea look in the old lady’s bag?
1. She wanted to steal what was in it.
2. She wanted to find her address so that she could send the bag
back to her.
3. She wanted to borrow the old lady’s tools.
4. She wanted to find out who the strange passenger was.
5. She wanted to sell what there were in it.
36. What was the “old lady” probably going to do to Andrea?
2. kill her
3. give her an axe
4. visit her in Brockbourne
5. rape her
37. What wasn’t the reason why Andrea felt lonely as she drove home?
1. It was cold.
2. It was windy.
3. It was snowy.
4. It was completely dark.
5. She drove alone home.
38. Andrea decided to give “an old lady” a ride although she had never done this before when she drove alone. Andrea was…………………………………
39. Someone who had stolen the car radio of Andrea was……………………………………………………
40. What is the moral lesson of this story?
1. Don’t judge a book by its cover.
2. Never trust the advice of a man in difficulties.
3. Where there is the will, there is the way.
4. Selfishness is the root of all evils.
5. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
41. 1. verified 42. 1. by
2 . supported 2. on
3. claimed 3. with
ดาวน์โหลด : exercises I